Thursday, March 31, 2011

Abraham Lincoln wins in 1940.

This is the book I was waiting for.  And I still am.  Read on and you will see why!
Abraham Lincoln
1940 Caldecott Winner
Story and Pictures by Ingri and Edgar Parin D’Aulaire
Edgar Parin, originally of Swiss citizenship, was born in Munich, Germany to the noted Italian portrait painter Gino Parin (1867–1944) and Ella Auler, a talented artist and musician who had moved from St. Louis to Paris. Edgar Parin took his mother's maiden name when she changed it to d'Aulaire. At about the same time he became a sought-after artist in his own right. Edgar, a pupil of Henri Matisse,[1] illustrated many books in Germany from 1922 to 1926 and painted frescoes in Norway from 1926 to 1927.
Ingri Mortenson was born in Kongsberg, Norway. When she was 15, the renowned Norwegian painter Harriet Backer encouraged her to pursue art as a career. Ingri later studied at art schools in Norway, Germany, and France.
Ingri and Edgar met in Munich. They were married in 1925. A modest insurance settlement following a near-fatal bus-trolley collision in Paris provided the seed money to send Edgar to the United States, steerage class, to scout for opportunities. He garnered enough commissions illustrating books to send for Ingri. They initially took up residence in a cold-water walk-up flat in Brooklyn, NY in 1929.
At first, the couple pursued separate careers. Edgar concentrated on illustrating books using wood block engravings and stone lithography; Ingri garnered commissions to paint portraits of prominent businessmen.
Their work caught the eye of the director of the New York Public Library. Acting on her suggestion, the d'Aulaires decided to turn their talents to children's books. They collaborated on the first of many to come, The Magic Rug in 1931. Shortly thereafter they took up United States citizenship. The d'Aulaires lived and worked in Wilton, Connecticut, from 1941 until their deaths in the 1980s.
Bio for Wikepedia
Book Summary
                This book is the life story of Abraham Lincoln.  It begins with Abraham as a very young child and follows him until he becomes the President of the United States.
I found this book to be a delight!  I am learning more and more about myself as I continue on this quest and one observation I have made about myself is that I am a History Moron! No Joke.  I learned so much from this story and things that I have heard about so many times in my life but never really understood them.  This is the method I would prefer to learn history, in a children’s book.  The interesting thing about Abraham Lincoln is that although it is a children’s book it is full of information.  The authors did not water it down.  I appreciate that.  I also enjoyed learning about Abraham Lincoln before he became the 16th President.   Okay remember I said I was a History Moron.  Here is a good solid example of this!  I asked my 7 year old son what he knew about Abraham Lincoln and he said I know he was the 16th President and that he was a Lawyer.  Okay I knew he was the 16th President but I did not know he was a Lawyer.  How in the world does my 7 year old know more about Abraham Lincoln than I?  Time for me to brush up on some things!  He he
                One of my favorite parts of the book was when Abraham Lincoln learned he was now the new President of the United States.
“Late one evening Lincoln got the message that he had been elected President of the United States.  He went home to his wife, and said:  “Mary, we were elected.”  And Mary rejoiced.  Her dream had come true.  Abe sold his horse and buggy and cow, and made ready to leave his home.  And he grew a beard on his chin.  He knew he wasn’t handsome, and he thought a beard might make him look nicer. On a drizzling morning he tied up his trunks.  Then he went to the train at the station.”
Wow times have changed!  I thought this was so interesting to see that an American Icon had to sell his livestock before he could go to Washington to become the President!
Art Medium:  Believe it or not I can’t comment on this one yet.  When I was researching this book I discovered that the illustrations that won the award is different than the ones I was looking at.  Publishers had Ingri and Edgar Parin D’Aulaire redo the illustrations in 1957 to help with production costs.  I have requested a copy of the book that was produced prior to this change and will comment on illustrations when I have both in front of me!
Final Thoughts:
1. Would this be a book I would pick up again? Yes
2. Would I recommend it to others to search out and take a look at? If you are a history buff I think this would be an interesting read for you
3. Would I spend my hard earned money on the book? yes
4. Where did I get the book from?  The Pierce County Library System 

No comments:

Post a Comment