Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I HAVE A CHALLENGE FOR YOU!!!!!

1943 Honor: Marshmallow
By Clare Turlay NewberryNOTE:  Ms. Newberry is very well known.  She has earned the Caldecott Honor two times before Marshmallow.  Her first was in 1939 for Barkis, then 1941 for Aprils Kittens.  AMAZING!!!!!

Bio from: http://www.childrensliteraturenetwork.com/birthbios/brthpage/04apr/4-10newberry.html
Clare Turlay Newberry was born on April 10, 1903, in Enterprise, Oregon. She studied art at the University of Oregon, the California School of Fine Arts, and at La Grand Chaumiere in Paris, France. She focused on portrait painting but, in 1931, she wrote and illustrated her first book for children, Herbert the Lion. Ms. Newberry died in 1970 in San Diego, California.
Book Summary
A darling white fluffy bunny is introduced to a new home.  A home where there is already a resident cat, Oliver. Oliver has some adjusting to do and then by the end of the delightful story Marshmallow, the bunny, is snuggling close to Oliver!  Just a cute story!
This book I read to my children at bedtime.  Both of my children loved it!  My daughter laughed at it and adored the darling bunny with a funny name.  This book will be residing on her bookshelf, she may share if you ask her nicely! J
Illustrations:
            I love Ms. Newberry’s style!  It is soft, and romantic, simple and easy!  There is a feel of effortlessness in her pictures.  This book easily fits with the previous two she earned awards for. 
CHALLENGE!!!!  Come on be brave accept it!  He he
Okay to put her pictures in a way you can picture them with your mind.  Here I go!  I am going to try and describe it!
Imagine holding a piece of black charcoal over a blank piece of white paper.  (If you don’t have charcoal, I mean who does?, then use a black crayon or pencil.)
Close your eyes and visualize a small, tiny bunny.
When you open your eyes you lightly make a ball with a fluffy squiggly ball on the backside.  Then you do two ears pocking up, switch to a pink pastel chalk to fill them in and then switch back to your piece of charcoal.  Finish up the details of the face and some feet.  It is smooth and effortlessly motions.  When you are done you have a darling bunny!
There.  Did you do it!  Do you have a bunny as cute as Marshmallow?  No?  huh, perhaps Ms. Newberry had a few techniques I don’t.  Anyhow, I would love to see your picture if you did one!
Thanks for playing along!
Art Medium: She primarily worked in watercolor and Conte crayon on velour pastel paper. Her children and pets were her inspiration for her animal books, many of which are in print today. April’s Kittens, Marshmallow, and T-Bone were all Caldecott Honor books. She was praised by critics for "instilling in children a compassion and sense of responsibility for animals."
Final Thoughts:
1. Would this be a book I would pick up again? yes
2. Would I recommend it to others to search out and take a look at?  yes
3. Would I spend my hard earned money on the book?  I did!
4. Where did I get the book? I purchased it!
More Info:

No comments:

Post a Comment