Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cute and Sweet

1944: Honor Small Rain
Chosen by Jessie Orton Jones
Illustrated by Elizabeth Orton Jones
Bio from Wikipedia

Early life

She was born "half past Christmas" in Highland Park, Illinois, to George Roberts Jones, a violinist, and Jessie May Orton, a pianist and a writer. Elizabeth was followed by a brother and a sister. During her youth, two Bohemian girls served as cook and nurse in her home, providing an alternative set of cultural norms which surely served as an encouragement for Elizabeth to develop her artistic side.
During Elizabeth's youth, she and her siblings made many creative outlets for ther imagination. Setting up "tasks" for herself, she taught lessons to her dolls and eventually read the entire Bible. A more collaborative project between her and her siblings was the creation of the "Beagle Language", named after one of their pets.
Jones' great-grandfather, Joseph Russell Jones, a friend of Abraham Lincoln, was minister to Belgium under President Ulysses S. Grant. Her grandmother was a professional pianist and her grandfather owned a bookstore.
Book Summary
                The text is selected verses from the Bible.  The illustrations show the interpretations of the Bible Verses.
Illustrations:
Sweet soft realistic images fill the pages of this book.  There are boys and girls, of different colors all.  I did enjoy the illustrations and the simple ease they made me feel.  Nice rounded edges with happy little children.  It is almost like watching a Sunday School Class act out the Bible Verses!
Art Medium:
Final Thoughts:
1. Would this be a book I would pick up again? Not sure
2. Would I recommend it to others to search out and take a look at? It is sweet but don’t spend a lot of time finding it.
3. Would I spend my hard earned money on the book? Not sure, if I found it cheep I may purchase it to add to my collection!  I am a collector.
4. Where did I get the book? Pierce County got this book from PLU for me to look at!
More info: 
http://ortakales.com/Illustrators/Jones.html
http://www.vintagechildrensbooksmykidloves.com/2008/02/small-rain.html

No comments:

Post a Comment