Saturday, August 6, 2011

1947 Timothy Turtle


1947 Caldecott Honor: Timothy Turtle

By Al Graham                     pictured by Tony Palazzo

I am having a great deal of difficulty finding any Bio info for Tony Palazzo.  If you know of a link or a site with this info please let me know.

Book Summary

Timothy Turtle becomes unhappy with his daily life, providing a ferry service for other animals.  He is then convinced to go on an adventure up a hill.  He gives it a try and comes back to a celebration in his honor.

The words are set in a type of rhyme, others have said it reminds they of Dr. Seuss.  I found it slow and hard to read every word.  I found a youtube video of the story I will post, let me know your thoughts.

Illustrations
The illustrations are cute and realistic.  I would have to guess at how they are done, it looks like Pen and Ink with a watercolor background.  The Water Color is either light blue or light orange.  Color really is just there to soften the page.  I did enjoy the details of the animals.   I also enjoyed how Mr. Palazzo illustrated Timothy Turtle in his time of great need.

Final Thoughts:

1. Would this be a book I would pick up again? Probably Not

2. Would I recommend it to others to search out and take a look at? Just watch the video I found.

3. Would I spend my hard earned money on the book? Not sure, it would have to be a good price.

4. Where did I get the book? Portland Community College

No comments:

Post a Comment