Monday, September 5, 2011

Blueberries For Sal!!!! CLASSIC!!!!!


1949 Caldecott Honor: Blueberries for Sal

Robert McCloskey


Rather then repost the same bio information I wrote for the Make Way for Ducklings post I thought this video would be fun!  It showcases some of Mr. McCloskey’s art outside of books as well as other books that I have yet to read.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Book Summary

A mother and daughter go to a hillside to pick Blueberries.  Sal, the daughter, quickly picks a few blueberries and then eats them!  Classic!  Mother is busy working on filling her bucket.  Meanwhile on the other side of the hill we are introduced to a mother bear and her cub who are also enjoying the blueberries.  Both mothers are busy at work while the young ones are busy doing what young ones do, wander.  Eventually the young one end up switching mothers without notice.  No worries by the end of the story everyone is back in the correct location!

Illustrations


I LOVE THIS ILLUSTRATION!!!!!!!!!!!

This is found on the front inside cover as well as the inside back cover.  This is only half of the image the other half is just as beautiful, it contains the stove, pantry and other kitchen elements.  Some of the interesting pieces in the illustration are the classic look of a kitchen stocked with canning supplies, sugar, mixers, measuring cups, nothing was left out!  I also like how the calendar with August on it is displayed!  How thoughtful!



I love the classic feel of this image.  I have always had a fascination with classic/retro items.  The curtains in the windows, the mother with apron and perfect hair!  Simple times?  Right?  Probably not.  Anyway I like the illusion of it!  When I think of this and the time when it was published 1949 I am sure it was a different impression.  This book would have seemed modern and with the times.  Funny how that works.



Okay now let’s talk about how Mr. McCloskey created the illustrations.  This book is done with dark navy blue ink, not black!  The images do not have color. (If you watch the youtube video I post it will be in color)  The are simple but include details where needed.  Shading is used extensively in the book!  Shadows are a key element.  On page 27 we see young Sal looking around a large rock to see what is on the other side of the hill.  The hillside is solid dark with the unknown.   With the very little drawing I have done I have found shading to be quite difficult for me to grasp!  I can never seem to understand where the light is hitting and what would be darker.  There are times when I can do it on a single item but them put to items in the same drawing and they are not the same.  So I appreciate the shading in the book!

Final Thoughts:

1. Would this be a book I would pick up again? Yes

2. Would I recommend it to others to search out and take a look at? Yes

3. Would I spend my hard earned money on the book? Yes

4. Where did I get the book? Pierce County Library, WA

More Info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81C6BoQmD-Q


http://www.hamiltonheritagehall.org/McCloskey_Museum/Home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment