Saturday, July 23, 2011

AMAZING ILLUSTRATIONS!!!!

1948 Caldecott Honor: Song of Robin Hood
Selected & Edited by Anne Malcolmson
Music Arranged by Grace Castagnetta
Designed & Illustrated by Virginia Lee Burton



This is Virgina Lee Burton, I love the look of it!  Don’t you?

Okay, so Virgina Lee Burton is a name we should be familiar with.

Here is a short clip you can check out if you are interested.


Book Summary

                This book has 18 “chapters,” I don’t know what the formal word for them are.  They are not chapters like we tend to think because they are accompanied with written music.  Anyway here they are:

1.       Robin Hood and Little John

2.       Robin Hood and The Stranger

3.       Robin Hood and The Tanner

4.       Robin Hood and The Prince of Aragon

5.       Robin Hood and The Curtal Friar

6.       Robin Hood and The Allen A Dale

7.       Robin Hood and Maid Marian

8.       Robin Hood and The Bishop

9.       Robin Hood and The Butcher

10.   The Bold Peddler and Robin Hood

11.   Robin Hood and The Guy of Gisborne

12.   Robin Hood and The Golden Arrow

13.   Robin Hood and The Ranger

14.   Robin Hood Rescuing Will Stutly

15.   Robin Hood and The Bishop of Hereford

16.   Robin Hood’s Golden Prize

17.   Robin Hood Rescuing Three Squires

18.   Robin Hood’s Death

Illustrations

Where does one even begin?  These illustrations are AMAZING.  Ms. Burton took 3 years to work on this book!  It shows.  At the beginning of the book there are to pages dedicated just to talking about the illustrations.  This is rare and something I have never seen before.  But I have never seen a book like this before either.  Okay I am going to give it my best to try and tell you a little bit about the illustrations.

“Experimenting with various black and white media I arrived at a combination of pen and ink and scratchboard as best suited to my purpose.” Taken from the book.

I cannot begin to count all the different illustrations that were created for this book!  They are so detailed and intricate!  This really must have been a labor of love, and I am sure at times frustration!  J  Another important detail to note is that Ms. Burton created the illustrations the same size that is published in the book.  She left nothing to chance. 



Just a BEAUTIFUL BOOK!  Please take the time to find it and look at it!

Final Thoughts:

1. Would this be a book I would pick up again? For the illustrations-YOU BET!!!!

2. Would I recommend it to others to search out and take a look at? YES

3. Would I spend my hard earned money on the book? Yes

4. Where did I get the book? Pierce County Library, WA

No comments:

Post a Comment