Friday, July 22, 2011

Dr. Suess I had never heard of before! Take a look!


1948 Caldecott Honor: McElligot’s Pool

By Dr. Seuss

Rather than try and summarize Dr. Seuss’s life I thought I would share some websites I found that would be great to visit.



This last website is wonderful for kids!  If you have a Dr. Seuss Fan then I recommend you visit this site.  There are games, activities, and pintables’.  Great fun!

Book Summary

A young boy, Marco, goes fishing in McElligot’s Pool.  The local farmer tells Marco that there is no reason for him to fish in the pool and that he will not catch a fish.  But Marco has faith!  He goes on to explain how, perhaps, just maybe he might catch something!

If you have a young child who can argue his way out of anything this is a story you can relate to!  I found it darling and touching!  Great example of never giving up and standing up for what you believe in!

Illustrations

“The illustrations are shaded colored pencil rather than the later pen and ink which defined his style.” From wikipedia

If you are a fan of Dr. Seuss this book will not let you down.  The Illustrations look similar to all the other Seuss Books you have grown up with.  I had never even heard of this book before, had you?  I am surprised by that.  We have all heard of Dr. Seuss and we pretty familiar with The Caldecott Honor so why is this book not a top seller?  Another interesting observation is that while doing my research for this book all the images I was able to pull up, not one of them had the “sticker.”  What sticker you ask?  The shiny silver Caldecott Sticker!  Why?   These are questions I still have.  If you know the answer to any of them please let me know!

Okay now back to the illustrations:

As mentioned above, this book was done with Colored Pencils.  Thru the entire book there are colorful pages as well as black and white.  Again I have a question, were the original ones black and white or is the book just produced that way?  The illustrations fill the large book and have a fun whimsy way about them!  I really enjoyed looking at them.  I found them fun and engaging.  There is so much imagination at work in this book.

If you have young children and you want to teach them the lesson of never giving up and believing in what they feel, this is the book for you!  If you read this book please let me know what you think!

Final Thoughts:

1. Would this be a book I would pick up again? Yes

2. Would I recommend it to others to search out and take a look at? Yes

3. Would I spend my hard earned money on the book? Yes

4. Where did I get the book? Pierce County Library, WA

No comments:

Post a Comment