Thursday, July 21, 2011

Stone Soup........No Thanks


1948 Caldecott Honor: Stone Soup

By Marcia Brown

Marcia BrownMarcia Brown is the first and only author-illustrator to be awarded the Caldecott medal three times and to receive six Caldecott Honor Book citations. These numerous accolades attest to Marcia Brown's distinction as one of Americas's most revered creators of children's books.In 1918 Marcia Brown was born in Rochester, New York, the youngest of three girls. Because her father was a minister, the family lived in many towns. As a child, Marcia drew whenever possible, even in her book margins at school, and by the time she was twelve, she knew that she wanted to illustrate books. In 1946, with the publication of her first book, The Little Carousel, Charles Scribner's Sons Books of Young Readers launched Marcia Brown's career in children's books. Since she has published over twenty books with Scribners, including Cinderella (1955), Once A Mouse... (1962) and Shadow (1982), which all won Caldecott medals. Her prints have been displayed at the New School for Social Research, Carnegie Institute, Brooklyn Museum, and several galleries. The Library of Congress includes her work in their permanent collection. Marcia Brown is the recipient of the 1992 Laura Ingalls Wilder Award, presented every three years to an author or illustrator whose books are published in the United States and who has, over a period of years , made a substantial and lasting contribution to literature for children.


Book Summary

A tired group of 3 soldiers find themselves in a small village.  Times are hard for all and no one is willing to open up to the soldiers, no food no bed.  But not to be outwitted the soldiers find a way to trick the simple villagers into bringing out food to complete the stone soup.

My thoughts: Not sure.  I know this is a classic and that many people read it and love it.  But when I got done I was left with the thoughts of all these characters are mean.  For example, the villagers who are unwilling to share and hide all their resources AND the three soldiers who trick the villagers into giving up food.  I know that this book is used in many classrooms and that Stone Soup has been fixed for many a student but I just couldn’t let myself fall in love with it.

Illustrations

I was unable to find what medium(s) were used for this book, however I did learn that Marcia Brown enjoyed many different types of mediums.  There are other books of hers that I will be reading in the future and they look very different than the illustrations in Stone Soup!  I find this very interesting.  Today illustrators seldom do different mediums, the tend to find a passion and talent in one area and stick to that.  Nothing wrong with that, just an observation I have. 

Okay so let’s talk about what I felt with the illustrations with Stone Soup.  There is a limited color pallet.  Black, Orange , Grey and White.  Everything is realistic and easily identified.  The lines are wiggly and soft.  No harsh, dark lines.

Personally I did not get drawn in with this pictures.  Perhaps you will.

Final Thoughts:

1. Would this be a book I would pick up again? No

2. Would I recommend it to others to search out and take a look at? No

3. Would I spend my hard earned money on the book? No

4. Where did I get the book? Pierce County Library, WA

More Info:

http://www.albany.edu/feature/marcia_brown/

No comments:

Post a Comment