Monday, September 12, 2011

It's cold outside!


1949 Caldecott Winner: The Big Snow

By Berta and Elmer Hader

This is the third time we are seeing this couples name!

1940 Honor: Cock-A-Doodle Doo

1944 Honor: The Mighty Hunter

On the two previous posts I gave bio’s for them each before they were married and then once they were married.  If you would like to relook at those posts please do so.

There is a great website that will provide you with more info as well, please take a look at it!  I am soooo tempted to purchase some of the paper dolls!

http://haderconnection.com/

Book Summary

A delightful story of how various woodland animals prepare for the cold winter months.

Illustrations


This book is such a delight!  I love it!  Berta and Elmer Hader have perfected the art of drawing nature for children!  Simple and sweet as well as detailed and honest!  How do they do it?  There are illustrations with full color sprinkled around the book, but the majority of the illustrations are black and white!  There are two key elements, the flying geese and the snow! Once again I am so impressed when an illustrator can give the appearance of snow using a white page and a black pen!  Amazing to me!  Take the above picture for an example.  Immediately we all know that there are two people standing in a very large pile of snow!  All it takes is a soft black line and a few shading elements.  Just beautiful!  I am in love with this book!  I love the animals!  I love the snow!  I love the message about seasons changing!  I just really like this book!



Final Thoughts:

1. Would this be a book I would pick up again? Yes

2. Would I recommend it to others to search out and take a look at? Yes

3. Would I spend my hard earned money on the book? Yes

4. Where did I get the book? Pierce County Library, WA

No comments:

Post a Comment