Sunday, October 9, 2011

OOBLECK!!!!! Dr. Seuss and Science!!!!!


1950 Caldecott Honor: Bartholomew and the Oobleck

By Dr. Seuss

Dr. Seuss!!!  Dr. Seuss!!  We know and love this man and the work he did!  There are tons of web sites that will give you info on this man.  I checked out a book from the library; History Maker Bios Dr. Seuss.  It is written for a younger audience but it was just fine for a quick read full of facts! 

ISBN: 978-0-7613-5206-8

Book Summary

Bartholomew, a young lad, is the King of Didd’s aid.  The selfish king is tired of the regular stuff falling from the skies.  He orders his royal magicians to create something new to fall from the sky.  Against Bartholomew’s warnings that this could go bad, very bad the royal magicians work their magic.  The next day green oobleck begins to fall from the sky!  In the end the King learns to say sorry!

Illustrations

Typical Dr. Seuss, fun and creative!  The only color in the book is green with black and white drawings.  It is very effective!

Special Notes

So I read this book last Sunday night, and when I was finished I was super excited.  You see this week in my second grade classroom our spelling list was the double O sound of oo as in oobleck!  I read this story to my classroom (it took three days).  Then on Friday we got to conduct a science experiment and create oobleck! 

I had never made oobleck before and was eager to see what it would be like.  I got the recipe from the internet.  The kids were super excited as was I!  I began by putting on my apron and that was all the kids needed to see!  I picked up a large mixing bowl and large plastic spoon and pretended to mix.  The kids all froze with excitement!  I then asked if anyone would like to make oobleck with me today!  The kids all very quickly stood up and yelled YES!!!!!  We started with 1 and a half cups of water and 2 cups of Corn Starch.  We ended up needing to use much more Corn Starch to make the Oobleck work correctly.  But in the end we have magical oobleck running thru our hands!

 I love that kids are not afraid to get their hands dirty to learn!  It was so fun to see reactions and laugh with the class!  This book will now be a regular event in my classroom each year!  I can almost guarantee that the kids learned the double o as in oobleck sound and won’t forget! 

If you are brave enough to make oobleck please share your experience with me I would love to hear how it went for you!

Here are some links to printouts I found online that I also used in my classroom!



Ingredients:

Corn Starch, water and green food coloring.

Final Thoughts:

1. Would this be a book I would pick up again? Yes Yes Yes

2. Would I recommend it to others to search out and take a look at? Yes

3. Would I spend my hard earned money on the book? Yes!!!

4. Where did I get the book? Pierce County Library, WA

No comments:

Post a Comment