Saturday, October 8, 2011

Song of the Swallows=seasons change


1950 Caldecott Winner: Song of the Swallows

By Leo Politi

YEAH!!!!  Finally Mr. Politi wins big!  Mr. Poloti won Caldecott Honors twice.

1947: Pedro, the Angel of Olvera Street                 and                        1949: Juanita

If you would like more background on this artist please visit my previous posts.

Book Summary


Every summer, the swallows leave San Juan Capistrano and fly far away, to a peaceful green island — but they always come back in the spring, on St. Joseph's Day. Juan loves las golondrinas, and so does his friend, Julian, the gardener at the mission.

This year, Juan plants a garden in his own yard. There's nothing he wants more than for the swallows to nest there. And on St. Joseph's Day, his dream comes true.

Leo Politi is the beloved author and illustrator of Pedro, The Angel of Olvera Street, among many other books for children. Song of the Swallows won the Caldecott Medal in 1950.

Illustrations

These illustrations are very similar to the previous two books by the same artist.  If you liked those then check out this book.  I found these illustrations to have a bit more “heart.”  What do I mean by that?  Not sure, but when you look at them for some reason you can just feel the meaning behind them.  I enjoyed the story to accompany them and perhaps that is what brings the heart to the illustrations.  Or rather because they are working in perfect unison?  Who knows, certainly not me!

Final Thoughts:

1. Would this be a book I would pick up again? Great story of the seasons chaning!

2. Would I recommend it to others to search out and take a look at? Yes

3. Would I spend my hard earned money on the book? If I found a good deal yup!

4. Where did I get the book? Pierce County Library, WA

No comments:

Post a Comment