Sunday, October 2, 2011

A trip to the Virgin Islands? What to go?


1950 Caldecott Honor: Henry-Fisherman A Story of the Virgin Islands

By Marcia Brown

This is the second book we are looking at that is by Marcia Brown.  If you missed Stone Soup here is a Bio you can check out.  Bio from: http://www.powells.com/biblio/9780684922966

An interesting fact about this book was located on the back jacket cover.  Titled

How This Story Grew

“Many of her books have been inspired by trips abroad.  During two summers spent on the Island of St.Thomas, Miss Brown sketched, made friends with the children, and came back with beautiful pictures of Henry and his everyday doings.”

Book Summary

A young boy, Henry, is eager to grow up and help his father on the family fishing boat.  Henry is a good swimmer, diver and fisherman.  One day his father finally allows him to come out to see.  As Henry is in the middle of  his first dime a large dark shadow appears above him!  What is the dark shadow?  Read the book and find out!  J

Illustrations

From the book jacket, “Here in five colors, coral and dark green, turquoise and gold and brown, is Henry’s tropical home, the beaches, the sea, the fishing boats, the market and coconut groves of St. Thomas.”

Final Art. Five-color gouache, flat color (pink, dark greeen, chartreuse, green-yellow, turquoise blue, brown). From: http://library.albany.edu/speccoll/findaids/Images/HenryFisherman.htm



My thoughts!  I enjoyed the pictures. They are bright and bold.  There are sharp contrast in color and rough edges.  I have had the privilege of going to St. Thomas and remember it being bright, happy, and rough!  These illustrations capture that feeling.  It’s like being part of the tropics yet reality sprinkled on top.  I am gald that Ms. Brown did not feel it necessary to show the fantasy side of life rather she went in the opposite direction.  I enjoy the fact that the illustrations are bright and bold, no shading required.  Do remember I cannot shade art work to save my life! 



Overall I enjoyed the read and would suggest you take a look!

Final Thoughts:

1. Would this be a book I would pick up again?Probably not, it is dated but a fun read.

2. Would I recommend it to others to search out and take a look at? Just once, yup

3. Would I spend my hard earned money on the book? Garage Sale Price, sure!

4. Where did I get the book? Pierce County Library, WA

More Info:

http://www.albany.edu/feature/marcia_brown/

No comments:

Post a Comment