Sunday, December 11, 2011

1951? Do you have a memory of this year?

Okay so we are up to 1951, I feel like doing something different.  So I found a website that had popular culture facts!  I enjoyed it so I want to share it with you.  But I also want to know, do you have a favorite memory from 1951?  Favorite song?  Favorite movie?  I have always felt that it would be fun to live in the 50's, I guess I have always dreamed of wearing a poddle skirt and having that perfect pony tail!

Enjoy!

1951

I have found a fun site that provides history facts.  Check it out.  Here are some of the highlights I enjoyed!

Cost of Living 1951
Average Cost of new house
$9.000.00
Average wages per year
$3,510.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas
19 cents
Average Cost of a new car
$1,500.00
Loaf of Bread
16 cents
LB of Hamburger Meat
50 cents
Bacon per LB
52 cents
Eggs per dozen
24 cents
Water Jacket Heater ( Asbestos )
$4.59
Baby Diapers ( Cotton )
From $2.79
Children's Tricycle
From $14.00


Technology 1951

  • First oral contraceptive ( the Pill )invented by Luis E. Miramontes
  • Direct dial coast-to-coast telephone service begins in the United States.
  • First Color Television Pictures broadcast from Empire State Building

Popular Culture

  • The term Rock N Roll is coined by Cleveland Disc Jockey Alan Freed
  • The Dennis the Menace comic strip appears in newspapers across the U.S. for the first time.

Popular Films
  • An American in Paris
  • The African Queen
  • A Streetcar Named Desire
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still

Popular Music
  • Perry Como
  • Mario Lanza
  • Nat King Cole
  • Tony Bennett

Popular TV
  • I Love Lucy
  • What's My Line? debuts on BBC Television.

No comments:

Post a Comment