Sunday, September 18, 2011

Animal Lovers here is a book for you!


1949 Caldecott Honor: Juanita

By Leo Politi

I have written about Mr. Politi before, he won the Caldecott Honor for Pedro, the Angel of Olvera Street in 1947.  For today’s post I found a great blog post about Leo Politi.  Please check it out!


The next web site I found is by the Politi Family!  Another great find!


Book Summary

Juanita and her family live on Olvera Street in California!  They are busy preparing for a special spring celebration, the Blessing of the Animals!

Illustrations

These are standard Leo Politi style pictures.  Heavy Mexican Influence.  The book I had the colors were bright yet faded.  Not sure if that is the intended look or just time taking it’s toll.  I enjoy watching little Juanita playfully move thru the city as preparations and celebrations take place.  Not much more to say right now, I found the book to be enjoyable and the art work to enhance the story!

Final Thoughts:

1. Would this be a book I would pick up again? Not sure

2. Would I recommend it to others to search out and take a look at? Yes, at least once.

3. Would I spend my hard earned money on the book? If it was a good deal yes!
4. Where did I get the book? Milton Memorial Library (Part of Pierce County)

No comments:

Post a Comment